You'll find a massive mushroom
If the drive you happen to be meandering down is the green and pleasant walkway of The Goldhawk Estate, W6.
Fresh from her urban foraging expedition, Lucy T spotted this beauty on her way down the drive last week
So excited was she about her fungus find that she went directly home to get her special mushroom book
We then spent a good fifteen minutes trying to figure out what type of mushroom it was
And whether or not it was edible.
After much page flicking and a lot of holding various glossy pictures next to said 'shroom, we narrowed it down to three possible contenders.
It's either a type of parasol mushroom which is meant to taste lovely when made into fritters
It's got that frilly bit underneath, see. Like one of those posh umbrellas.
Or it could be a False Death Cap.
Now, according to the book, False Death Cap mushrooms are not poisonous. However, they are easily confused with the Death Cap mushroom. Which, as it's name suggests, is poisonous. Unlike it's cousin.
If there are any budding mycologists out there who reckon they know what it is and fancy swapping mushroom wisdom for some crushed fruit, then please drop us a line.
And ignoring it includes not thinking about mushroom fritters, mushroom risotto, mushroom omelette, garlic mushrooms, mushroom stroganoff or mushrooms on toast every time we leave the office.
**************Mushroom news just in*****************
05/11/2009 Kate from Bristol has been on the phone. She's a qualified medical herbalist and has advised us not to eat this mushroom as she said it is actually a Death Cap. After all the posts and emails, we definitely won't be eating it. Thanks to everyone who's been in touch.