Our sustainable ingredients strategy
There’s no ‘one size fits all’ approach to buying sustainably
Since we buy such a large variety of fruit from such a diverse range of farms there is definitely no ‘one size fits all’ approach to buying sustainably. To help us achieve our aim only to buy fruit from farms that look after their workers and the environment we use a number of different approaches:
- We learn as much as we can about our ingredients - how they are grown, the challenges for our suppliers, and how we can help them.
- We have our own set of minimum standards covering all relevant farm management, environmental, social and economic issues. You can read more about our minimum standards here.
- We favour suppliers certified by independent environmental and social organisations (such as the Rainforest Alliance), and pay a premium for certified fruit.
- We choose to work with people who are the most committed to making real improvements so that we can help them to get there.
- We work on sustainability issues in partnership with our suppliers, especially when it comes to particularly troublesome issues.
Achieving our goals is going to be a long journey, and probably one that will never end, but every small positive change is a step in the right direction.
Up close and personal
Sure, you can get to know someone over the internet, or even on the phone. But we all know that eventually you have to meet face to face if you really want to get to know them. It’s exactly the same for us with our farmers; there’s no substitute for a face to face chat to make sure that we properly understand what makes our suppliers tick, what kind of challenges they face, and how they look after their workers and protect the environment. Since 2007 we’ve had a programme of regular meetings that involve innocent team members, independent auditors and global sustainability organisations visiting our suppliers, and working out how to get the best fruit with the right result for the people and the planet. As we source from literally thousands of farms there is no way we can visit or audit every single farm and still have time to make smoothies, so we try to visit a sample of farms.